Nuffnang ad

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Petition aims to ban baby ear-piercing: why I won't sign

I have signed online petitions before. Yes, I have.

Mainly when people seek to change laws concerning kids and animals, anything relating to violence against women. Gay rights. You know, meaningful things.

But this.

I truly can't even.

And I don't say 'can't even.'

A petition which aims to ban baby ear-piercing?

It strangely makes me think of 'Mean Girls': "stop trying to make 'fetch' happen."

As it applies to this: stop trying to make us 'outraged' about something that has nothing to do with you. Stop trying to make something that is not relevant to you happen.

Piercing my daughter's ears? Butt out.

I had my daughter's ears pierced when she was about five months old. And I think I left it too late!

For us (and by us, I mean people of Italian background), it's a cultural thing.

My mother had my ears pierced when I was young.

It involved my mother, my godmother, my aunt… and some metho.

And guess what? I don't remember it.

Isn't that the whole point? It's done when you're too young to recall the pain?

This petition wants to:

Make it illegal for babies/toddlers to get their ears pierced. Set a minimum legal age requirement.

They say:

Why is this important?

It is a form of child cruelty. Severe pain and fear is inflicted upon infants unnecessarily. It serves no purpose other than to satisfy the parent's vanity. Other forms of physically harming children are illegal- this should be no different.
I don't even know where to start with this. So I will start here: 'cruelty'. 'Parent's vanity.' 'Illegal'.

As my parents used to say, "Fatti i cazzi tuoi."

Which means, "Mind your own effing business."

It's almost funny, this petition. As funny as sending it to Italy and South America where piercing is the norm, and is done sometimes before the baby leaves hospital.

The Italians and South Americans can have a chuckle over their caffe, over your concern for their child.


No comments:

Post a Comment