Nuffnang ad

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dumping kids at play centres - the new 'babysitting trend'


My mouth is agape here... are parents really doing this?

Leaving kids unattended at leisure and play centres and taking off to, I don't know, run errands, see a doctor, get nails done, have a latte?

The Herald Sun has reported that child safety commissioner Bernie Geary is 'condemning' parents for dumping kids at these venues and doing the Harry Holt (the bolt, a runner).

"It is dangerous to children and disrespectful to the people who run these facilities," says Geary.

The Herald Sun reports this is the result of parents wanting to avoid daycare costs. I think it is in fact parents having no alternative on a day they have "stuff to do" and in a moment of desperation [and complete madness] they leave them at a place where they think nobody will notice, and their kids will blend into the crowd.

I try and 'do parenting' with the following credo - never say never. That is, I try to never start a smug parenting statement with: "I would never do that to my child", because chances are, things change and maybe I will.

In this instance, I can categorically say that "I would never do that."

Seriously? Leaving kids anywhere unattended? Complete madness.

Have you heard of someone pulling this? Go on, spill.

To read more, go here:

1 comment:

  1. Kids mostly enjoy a lot for jumping and sleeping play equipments. So mostly play centres provide more better jumping facilities. This is so good blog for adding a lot of interesting info.
    Play centres

    ReplyDelete